A leading democracy assistance group has launched a new set of tools to help improve the effectiveness of programs to support the development of democratic political parties.
The Toolkit, published by the National Democratic Institute, includes a Political Party Programming Guide and a Context Analysis Tool. Together, they incorporate accumulated expertise in party assistance as well as the latest innovations in development aid.
The Toolkit is built around the Will, Space, Capacity Framework, which provides a structured approach for examining key factors that influence political party behavior:
- Political space: the environment in which political parties operate and how they interact with it;
- Political will: the incentives that influence political parties and the individual actors within them; and
- Capacity: the skills and resources that parties need to compete in elections, propose policies and contribute to governance.
- Explain the functions parties through which parties fulfill their representative roles in democracies;
- Outline which principles and core competencies parties need to fulfill that role democratically;
- Describe three key drivers that can be used to better understand party behavior and prospects for more democratic behavior; and
- Include tools to help party assistance providers analyze diverse political, social and economic contexts, design effective assistance programs and improve monitoring and evaluation.